Promoting Nutritious Food Systems in the Pacific:
Fiji National Action Plan
The participatory creation of the National Action Plan during the Fiji Forum aims to provide tailor-made approaches in order to tackle specific in-country challenges and make use of opportunities at national level for agribusiness and value chain development.
The plan addresses four key themes:
1. NUTRITION: Reduction in NCDs and increased income from investments in local food crops and fisheries value chains development
- Impact Aims: Increased household dietary diversity and production and sale of fresh and processed local food crops and fisheries
- Key Innovations / Critical Success Factors: Multi-sectoral collaboration; Adequate funding for implementation; Coordination of government actions; Leadership of respective ministerial departments for agreed actions as identified in the national policy documents.
2. FINANCE – Making farmers bank ready and banks farmer ready
- Impact Aims: New and innovative instruments that improve farmers/ SMEs access to finance and greater collaboration between commercial and development banks and donors
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors : ICT enabled financial services; blended finance; Collectives/networks/ aggregation of farmers/fisher folk and SMEs to leverage access to services (finance, extension) and reduce costs (e.g. inputs); cohesive public-private financing platforms for VC development
3. ICT – Robust Communication System for Growers / SMEs
- Impact Aims: Farmers/SMEs adopt and apply ICTs to improve production, marketing, financial and business systems.
- Key Innovations / Critical success factors: High mobile penetration; strengthening existing and introducing innovative apps strong ICT enabled farmer organisations (e.g. PIFON, FCLC) and SMEs; USP ICT unit and state of the art facility.
4. INSURANCE – Robust Insurance Package for Farmers
- Impact Aims: Reduce losses after catastrophic event through adoption of a simple weather-based insurance product
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Bundled insurance product e.g. FAO supported parametric insurance product; ICT enabled databases for collection of premiums and processing claims; Sound banking and ICT (phone) infrastructure; Legal system in place; Database of farmers; Historical data that help to properly define weather events (FMS); Short distribution chain; Regional insurance
Each theme is addressed under the sections:
- Partners Involved
- Stakeholder Targeted
- Resources Required
- Method of Verification
Are you interested to know more about the Agriculture-Nutrition Nexus in Fiji? Read about the Fiji National Round table here: