Promoting Nutritious Food Systems in the Pacific:
Kiribati National Action Plan
The participatory creation of the National Action Plan during the Fiji Forum aims to provide tailor-made approaches in order to tackle specific in-country challenges and make use of opportunities at national level for agribusiness and value chain development.
The plan addresses four key themes:
1. NUTRITION: Reduction in NCDs and food imports and increased income from investments made in the development of local food crops and fisheries value chains
- Impact Aims: Increase household dietary diversity and production and sale of fresh and processed local food crops and fisheries.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Multi-stakeholder collaboration; political will; community engagement; farmers willing to increase production of traditional food crops; consumers willing to consume local food crops; capacity building of local food scientists/ technologists/engineers.
2. FINANCE – Making farmers bank ready and banks farmer ready
- Impact Aims: Increase access to financing for smallholder farmers and SMEs.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Bank services/ phone banking systems are providing effective services; incentives.
3. ICT – Robust Communication System for Growers / SMEs
- Impact Aims: Increase access to and adoption of ICTs in agriculture and agribusiness with a focus on smallholder farmers, women and SME.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: 2nd service provider received licence (healthier competitive environment, KV): Government commitment to improve internet connectivity on the outer islands: most are expected to have internet by end of 2018/early 2019.
4. INSURANCE – Robust Insurance Package for Farmers
- Impact Aims: To increase awareness of key stakeholders on the importance of insurance for mitigating weather and other risks to agriculture and agribusiness development.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Of all PICs Kiribati faces lowest impact of catastrophic climatic disasters (however sea level rise is an urgent threat); competent weather service; phone penetration is growing with new service provider in 2018.
Each theme is addressed under the sections:
- Partners Involved
- Stakeholder Targeted
- Resources Required
- Method of Verification
Download the Kiribati National Action Plan here.
As part of the consultation process, interested parties are invited to provide feedback through joining the Kiribati online discussion group or through the contact form here.
Are you interested in the Agriculture-Nutrition Nexus in Kiribati? Download the report below which includes an overview of organisations working on agriculture, food and nutrition; the policy and institutional framework and key recommendations on how to strengthen the Agriculture-Nutrition Nexus in the Marshall Islands.