Promoting Nutritious Food Systems in the Pacific:
Kiribati National Action Plan
The participatory creation of the National Action Plan during the Fiji Forum aims to provide tailor-made approaches in order to tackle specific in-country challenges and make use of opportunities at national level for agribusiness and value chain development.
The plan addresses four key themes:
1. NUTRITION: Reduction in NCDs and food imports and increased income from investments made in the development of local food crops and fisheries value chains
- Impact Aims: Increase household dietary diversity and production and sale of fresh and processed local food crops and fisheries.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Multi-stakeholder collaboration; political will; community engagement; farmers willing to increase production of traditional food crops; consumers willing to consume local food crops; capacity building of local food scientists/ technologists/engineers.
2. FINANCE – Making farmers bank ready and banks farmer ready
- Impact Aims: Increase access to financing for smallholder farmers and SMEs.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Bank services/ phone banking systems are providing effective services; incentives.
3. ICT – Robust Communication System for Growers / SMEs
- Impact Aims: Increase access to and adoption of ICTs in agriculture and agribusiness with a focus on smallholder farmers, women and SME.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: 2nd service provider received licence (healthier competitive environment, KV): Government commitment to improve internet connectivity on the outer islands: most are expected to have internet by end of 2018/early 2019.
4. INSURANCE – Robust Insurance Package for Farmers
- Impact Aims: To increase awareness of key stakeholders on the importance of insurance for mitigating weather and other risks to agriculture and agribusiness development.
- Key Innovations/ Critical Success Factors: Of all PICs Kiribati faces lowest impact of catastrophic climatic disasters (however sea level rise is an urgent threat); competent weather service; phone penetration is growing with new service provider in 2018.
Each theme is addressed under the sections:
- Partners Involved
- Stakeholder Targeted
- Resources Required
- Method of Verification
Are you interested in the Agriculture-Nutrition Nexus in Kiribati? Download the report below which includes an overview of organisations working on agriculture, food and nutrition; the policy and institutional framework and key recommendations on how to strengthen the Agriculture-Nutrition Nexus in the Marshall Islands.